Maintaining old game with combu 2 alongside new version with combu 3

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@gecko64)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi,

We're using Combu v2 in a game with quite a large number of players now. We're making a new version of the game and want to use Combu 3 for i -- but it's going to take many months to roll that new version out across all platforms, so we need to keep the old game going after the new game is released.

I know that the proper way to do this is upgrade the old game to Combu 3 and force everyone to upgrade the game. Which we can do....but it will cause a lot of confusion among players, as their login will simply, suddenly, not work, and they won't know why (even if we alert them in advance in a News Announcement, they may not have read it, and they can't log into their account at that point to read the News).

So it would be fantastic if that upgrade of the old game wasn't necessary. That is, can we set up Combu 3 on our website alongside the Combu 2 folder, but have them share the same database? (It's okay if they don't share the Custom Files folder, we can manage that from within the game.) We've given this some thought and have some ideas, but they are pretty hacky and really just not a good idea. So I'm figuring we'll have to force everyone to upgrade the old game.....but also figured I'd ask if there's any clean way to maintain combu v2 and v3 alongside each other.....

thanks

Dave

Posted : 17/10/2018 3:34 pm
(@skaredcreations)
Prominent Member Admin

Using the same database for both versions is not possible, because some core tables in v3 have been changed a bit and using the same database will cause saving errors in SQL queries in one version or the other. There would be a small trick to notify the user of old client to upgrade to the new version, that is making a small change in /combu/users.php: all functions wsLogin* in this file should have only the following content so that the authentication will fail and you can show the message in the UI:

$success = FALSE;
$message = "You must upgrade the game client";
Utils::EchoJson( Utils::JsonEncodeSuccessMessage($success, $message), FALSE, TRUE );

FRANCESCO CROCETTI @ SKARED CREATIONS

Posted : 17/10/2018 4:04 pm
(@gecko64)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Ah,  so that message will appear instead of the usual login failure message? That would be a big help, thanks!

Posted : 17/10/2018 4:07 pm
Share: